Friday, June 3, 2011

Born to run? Hardly.

You know those people who love to run?  It's a hobby.  They plan their days around when they can run. They get excited about it.  They're constantly thinking of ways to improve their times.  They find it enjoyable...downright fun, even.

I am not one of those people.

So, imagine my own surprise when I decided to start training for a 5K.  I know.  I can't believe it myself everytime I lace up my running shoes and head to the track. 

The course was set for this running thing back in January.  I decided that it was time to get healthy and start taking care of myself.  I joined weight watchers online to jumpstart the process.  Little did I know, some of my friends from my small group started a week before me.  The timing was impeccable.  It's been so helpful to have other people keep me disciplined.  These same friends started training for a 5K.  My initial thought was..."Why?"  I have never liked to run.  Ever.  There was a time when I was pretty diligent about going to the gym, but you would never find me running.  I'm still not sure what made me turn the corner and decide to train, but I did.

Luckily for me, one of my dear friends is a machine when it comes to running.  She pretty much decided she was going to be my coach whether I asked or not.  And what a great coach she's been!  Thanks Coach Jessica!  Anyway, I can't say that I've become one of "those people" yet when it comes to running.  I still feel like I'm going to die during our training sessions.  I still could not be happier when we're done.  I still don't get upset when I can't run.  It's still hard, and I'm not progressing as quickly as I would like. But I AM acutally glad that I'm doing it.  I feel so much better.  I can't attribute it all to running, but I am so much happier than I was before January.

So, that's my first adventure.  Next step: actually sign up for a 5K.  Look for it in the fall.  I definitely don't love running enough to do it when it feels like the inside of an oven outside.

2 comments: